XtaLAB R-AXIS – Single Crystal Diffractometer
The XtaLAB R-AXIS is a series of single crystal diffractometers that can be customised to suit your specific application. The appeal of this system is wide, catering for anything from small molecules, to metal organic films (MOF), all the way to biological macromolecules.
Imaging Plate Detector
At the heart of the XtaLAB R-AXIS diffractometers is the imaging plate detector. All of these systems employ one of three imaging plate detectors. The options are as follows:
- R-AXIS IV++ – This is the most popular x-ray area detector for macromolecular crystallography. It consist of 2 large area imaging plates featuring fast readout speeds and wide dynamic range making it the ideal choice for measuring accurate diffraction data from a wide range of different samples.
- R-AXIS HTC – This state-of-the-art imaging plate detector uses a 3 late design that allows simultaneous exposure, erasure and readout operations. Its speed means that the system is only limited by the speed of the IP transport one position to the next. This particular detector is ideally suited to samples that require brief exposure times and operations requiring high throughputs
- R-AXIS RAPID – This is a cylindrical imaging plate featuring vertical translation and a high speed helical scan
Why Use Imaging Plate Detectors
Imaging plate technology has been around since the 1980’s. They have become an inexpensive method alternative to electronic detectors in that they can be made very large and curved to increase the angular detection range. Additionally, they do not have any electronic current dark, while their characteristic high dynamic range allows them to accurately measure both strong and weak reflections simultaneously. They are a very reliable type of detector, but their mechanical nature makes them easy to service in the field.
XtaLAB R-AXIS diffractometers can also be configured with a number of different x-ray sources depending on your application. This range provides different radiation types and fluxes.
- FR-X Microfocus Rotating Anode Generator – For those requiring the highest flux at the sample of any rotating anode, with higher brightness then some second generation bending magnet synchrotron beamlines
- MicroMax-007HF Dual Wavelength Generator – Microfocus rotating anode incorporating 2 x-ray different tubes (choice of Cu, Co, Mo or Cr) allowing easy switching between them so radiation sources can be chosen to suit specific samples
- MicroMax-003 – High intensity sealed tube x-ray source
Key features of the XtaLAB R-AXIS include:
- Large aperture
- No dark current to generate background noise
- Equally sensitive to a wide range of x-ray wavelengths
- High dynamic range
- Field serviceable
- No need for calibration
- Suited to a range of x-ray sources
- Many options allowing the system to be customised to customers requirements