Model 1020 – Plasma Cleaner
Key features of the Fischione Model 1020 Plasma Cleaner include:
· Simultaneously cleans transmission and scanning electron microscope specimens and specimen holders
- Enhances imaging and analytical results
- Removes existing carbonaceous contamination
- Prevents contamination
- No etching or sputtering
- Sample storage in a clean vacuum
Simultaneously Cleaning Of Electron Microscopy Specimens and Holders
The Fischione Plasma Cleaner automatically and quickly removes organic contamination (hydrocarbon) from electron microscopy specimens and specimen holders. A low energy, reactive gas plasma cleans while maintaining the specimen’s elemental composition and structural characteristics. The Plasma Cleaner features a user-friendly front control panel and an oil-free vacuum system for optimal processing.
Enhanced Imaging And Analysis
Cleaning is solely by reactive gas compounds formed by the plasma chemically reacting with carbonaceous material on the specimen and specimen holder. The non-equilibrium, high-frequency plasma is generated with a gas mixture of 25% oxygen and 75% argon. Free electrons are accelerated to high velocities by an oscillating electromagnetic field (13.56 MHz) that excites gas atoms and creates the plasma. The plasma ions impinge upon the surface with energies of less than 12 eV, which is below the specimen’s sputtering threshold.
In electron microscopes with high brightness electron sources, specimens that are not plasma treated tend to contaminate. The Plasma Cleaner ensures confidence that carbonaceous contamination will not interfere with imaging or analysis, even during fine probe microanalysis for extended periods.
Standard And Specialised Speciman Holders
The Plasma Cleaner is suited to side-entry specimen holders for all commercial transmission electron microscopes, as well as scanning electron microscope samples and a wide variety of bulk materials. A specialised specimen holder port allows the cleaning of specimens contained on carbon grids.
Fischione Samples suited to the Model 1020 PlaSMA Cleaner include:
- Model 9010 Vacuum Storage Container – After cleaning, specimen holders can be inserted into Vacuum Storage Containers so that they can be stored or transported under vacuum.
- Model 9020 Vacuum Pumping Station – Simultaneously stores five specimen holders under vacuum.